Carbon Monoxide accumulating in the home is a silent killer. If you have gas appliances, they should be serviced on a regular basis to ensure they operate correctly and do not leak dangerous gases, namely carbon monoxide.
Five tips to make sure your appliances are safe:
1 – Service all gas and fuel burning appliances every one or two years
2 – Install carbon monoxide alarm
3 – Insure adequate ventilation in your home
4 – Never bring outdoor gas and fuel burning appliances inside
5 – Learn about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Portable gas heaters should have the filter on the rear removed and cleaned at least once a month. The appliance itself should be taken to a service centre at the beginning of every season to be serviced and inspected for correct operation and leaks to hoses and fittings etc.
For peace of mind when you and your family are asleep, turn all appliances off correctly before retiring to bed, or if the cold weather is too much and heating is required throughout the night have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted to your wall. If you have a two storey home ensure your fit a second alarm upstairs to cover any bedrooms on that level.
Maverick Maintenance can supply and fit one carbon monoxide alarm at your home for $110 + GST.
Just a friendly reminder the permanent winter sprinkler ban has now kicked in and applies to all scheme and bore water users in Perth, Mandurah and some parts of the South West, from 1 June to 31 August each year.
Hand held watering and maintenance testing of bores is still permitted, but anyone using their sprinklers between June and August risks a $100 fine.